Sleep apnea is a sleep disorder that may sound simple but is serious if left unattended. It is characterized by multiple pauses in breathing that lasts for a few seconds to a few minutes. The apnea episodes can occur from 5 to 100 times an hour!
The pauses in breathing can either be caused by airway obstruction due to the soft tissues at the back of the throat that collapsed (Obstructive Sleep Apnea). Or when the brain fails to send a signal to the muscles that control proper breathing (Central Sleep Apnea).
Its Common Signs and Symptoms:
- Loud snoring which usually associated with Obstructive Sleep Apnea. It is due to the partial blockage of the airway that creates a vibration that comes out as a snore.
- Dry mouth, sore throat, and headaches when waking up.
- The pauses in breathing (apnea) or shallow breathing (hypopnea).
- A decline in attention, concentration, motor skills, and memory
At Regency Family Dental, we offer state of the art dental procedures, comfortable environment, and experienced dentists that can cater to each of our patient’s needs. We want to make sure that our patients who experience sleep disorders to be relieved of their problems and get a good night’s rest to keep them going daily.
Treatment for Sleep Apnea
At Regency Family Dental, we offer oral appliances that are worn during sleep to prevent Obstructive sleep apnea. These oral appliances are custom-made for each patient to guarantee comfort, safety, and effectivity to ensure a good night’s sleep. It also helps also helps in the prevention of snoring by slightly pushing the lower jaw forward. It lets the airway open to make sure that there is a steady and continuous flow of breath.
Benefits of Sleep Apnea Treatment
- Lets the patients get enough sleep and rest that is essential for their daily activities at either home, school or work.
- Helps prevent the health consequences that are associated with the multiple pauses in breathing during sleep.
- The treatment helps prevent or reduce the risk of heart disease. Sleep apnea is linked to heart problems which are due to the multiple pauses in breathing that also halts the delivery of oxygen in the whole body.
- It helps in the restoration of the patient’s alertness, concentration, productivity, and emotional stability.
- Sleep deprivation does not only make a person feel sleepy and tired during the day. It also affects the overall health condition of patients.
Are you suffering from a sleep disorder that results in multiple pauses of breathing or snoring? It might be Sleep Apnea! Schedule your appointment with us for diagnosis & Sleep Apnea Treatment in Stamford, CT. Our dental office is located at 1 Strawberry Hill Court, Suite L1, Stamford, CT 06902.